David Cameron's EU Reform Deal: How will this affect immigration?

The UK Prime Minister David Cameron has announced a referendum on whether Britain should remain in the European Union (EU) to be held on Thursday 23 June 2016.
A referendum is basically a vote in which everyone (or nearly everyone) of voting age can take part.

On benefits, anyone coming to the UK from the EU who does not find work within six months can be required to leave and there will be an emergency brake that allows the UK to stop paying in-work benefits to migrants for seven years.

The agreement confirms measures to deny free-movement rights to nationals of a country outside the EU who marry an EU national, as well as action to tackle the use of sham marriages to gain residence rights.

So if someone in Germany marries someone from outside the EU, their spouse won’t automatically be able to move to the UK.
But this cuts both ways – if you marry someone from outside the EU, you’re not going to be able to live in that villa in the south of France until they become a citizen themselves.

The result of this referendum would affect clients who intend to apply for an EEA Family Permit. This permit is normally used for people that intend to immigrate to the UK with their EU spouse/partner and child dependents but this doesn't include British passport holders. If you want to immigrate to the UK with your British spouse/partner then you would need to apply for a UK Settlement visa.


For more info

Visa and UK Immigration Specialists

For a free quote and assessment...

Contact Us