UK Immigration FAQs

Where must I submit my UK application?

All visa applicants, irrespective of nationality, will have to apply in person to a Visa Application Centre (VAC) to have their finger scans and digital photographs taken which is known as Biometrics. Children under the age of 5 years old do not need to appear at their visa submission appointment.

How do I qualify as a British Citizen?

There are six different forms of British nationality. Becoming a British citizen is one of them. British citizenship is the only way any British national can apply for and get a British passport and live legally in Britain without any special permission to do so. There are 4 different methods to qualify as a British citizenship;

  1. You can qualify via descent. This is gained when one’s parents are British born citizens, this type of citizenship can not be passed on to your own children.
  2. You can qualify via naturalisation. If you are 18 years or older and have lived in the UK for a certain number of years legally and have not been out of the U.K. for more than 3 months out of each 12 month cycle, if you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic, if you have “good character”, and you meet the residential requirements you may be able to apply for naturalization as a British citizen. Once in the process you will then be tested on how well you know about living in the UK.
  3. You can qualify via marriage. If you are married to a British citizen or a European Economic Area (EEA) national and you have lived in the U.K. on an EEA or spousal visa for 3 years or over you may apply for naturalization as a British citizen. This involves an intense interviewing and proof of genuine union is required.
  4. You can qualify via registration. This is when other British nationals who are not yet citizens get to register as British overseas citizens, British protected persons or British subjects with no other nationality or if you were born in the U.K. to a British mother before 1983 or born on or after 1983 and have lived in the U.K. for 10 years or more.

Can I get a UK passport for UK born children?

Your children are not entitled to dual citizenship unless one or both of the parents are actually born in the UK.

According to the British Nationality Act 1981

Under s.1(1), a person born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983 is a British citizen at birth if, at the time of the birth: either parent is a British born citizen; or either parent is settled in the United Kingdom.

What is a UK Ancestry Visa?

If you have a biological or adoptive grandparent who was born in the UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales), you have rights to the UK Ancestry visa.

This means that you are entitled to immigrate to the UK and live and work there without any restrictions. You are also entitled to bring your spouse and children along with you.

What is a UK Spousal Settlement visa aka UK Marriage Visa?

This visa is for people who are married or in a civil partnership with a UK citizen or permanent resident. UK citizens and permanent residents are able to sponsor their spouses or partners for a marriage visa. Dependent children can also be included on Marriage Visa applications.

What is a UK Fiance Visa?

People who are planning to marry a British citizen or permanent resident in the UK may apply for a fiance/fiancee visa.

Successful applicants receive a 6 month visa in which to come to the UK and get married. They are not allowed to work while on this visa. Once married, the recipients must apply for a marriage visa.

What is ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain)?

Permanent Residence in the UK is called Indefinite Leave to Remain. ILR is granted to people who have already shown a commitment to the UK on a temporary visa (such as those who have successfully obtained the EEA Family Permit). ILR requires you to not spend 2 years or more outside of the UK, as this can lead to it being revoked.

What does the Right of Abode mean?

It means you do not need an immigration officer’s permission to enter the country, and can live and work in the UK without restriction.

You can use the following documents as evidence that you have the right of abode;

  • UK passport describing you as a British citizen or a British subject with the right of abode; or
  • a UK identity card describing you as a British citizen or a British subject with the right of abode; or
  • a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode in the UK, which has been issued by the UK government or on its behalf.

Can I apply for a 2 year UK Working/ Holiday visa?

No, this visa type was abolished in October 2008.

Visa and UK Immigration Specialists

For a free quote and assessment...

Contact Us